Parentplay is a fun, 7-week parenting course focusing on parents of children under 5 years old. It depends to a large extent on informal, small group discussions followed by parents and children sharing an exciting, messy play-time together.
Parentplay focuses on the needs of children and their parents. It is play centred and is therefore lots of fun. The shared experience of the messy play-time allows the opportunity for parents to put into practice some of the principles and new ideas that they have learnt during the course.
Parentplay is committed to seeing family relationships develop. We believe that healthy relationships are crucial to children’s healthy growth and development. Parentplay is specifically designed to be easily accessible to families with varying levels of ability and need. It is devised to be user-friendly for both facilitators and parents.
Session 1 - Recharging Your Batteries
Helping parents to recognise the importance of taking care of their own, as well as those of their children.
Session 2 - What's Love Got To Do With It?
Exploring practical ways of showing and telling children that they are loved.
Session 3 - I'm All Ears!
Developing effective listening skills.
Session 4 - It's More Than Words
Exploring the effects of labelling, shouting and saying sorry.
Session 5 - Why Play?
Inspiring parents to enjoy sharing play with their children and discovering new ways of joining in.
Session 6 - Balancing With Boundaries
Considering the reasons behind challenging behaviour, and strategies to set boundaries, to deal with it appropriately.
Session 7 - Remember, Remember!
Discussing the importance of building positive memories and valuing times together.
• Parentplay aims to strengthen family bonds and promote positive family relationships.
• Parentplay helps parents and children to feel valued and respected.
• Parentplay builds on parents’ strengths as they learn new skills together by sharing ideas and experiences, enabling them to be positive role models for their children.
• Parentplay encourages parents and children to have fun together, developing a deeper bond through a range of stimulating messy play activities.
• Parentplay facilitates parents in building friendships and supporting one another as a key to being actively involved in community life and all the benefits that this brings.